Monday 19 December 2011

'DASHA SLOKI' -- OF SHANKARACHARYA


'DASHA SLOKI' or 'NIRVANA DASHAKAM' WAS TOLD BY
SHANKARA TO HIS GURU GOVINDAPADA,(When he met
first time)WHEN GURU ASKED HIM "Who are you?"

AS PER SHANKARA IT CONTAINS ESSENCE OF ALL
VEDANTHIC TEACHING COMPRESSED INTO THEM.

JUST BEFORE HE VANISHED FROM EARTH, KING
SUDANVA ASKED HIM WHAT THEY HAVE TO
REMEMBER FOR CONTEMPLATION,SHANKARA
SUGGESTED 'Dasha Sloki'


ANALYSE & THINK MEANING OF SLOKAS -7 , 9 &10


                                   
When SHANKARA was just eight years old ,he left 
Kalady to Omkaranath(near Haridwar) to meet his 
Guru GOVINDAPADA,all the way by walking.When 
he met his GURU GOVINDAPADA,he asked 
Shankara,"Who are you?"& the reply from Shankara 
to this question,flowed out in the form of ten verses.
Each verse ending with Shiva Kevaloham (I am of 
the form of PURE AUSPICIOUSNESS ).They 
sparkle with subtle meditative thoughts and are 
chanted by Vedanthic students to lift themselves into 
higher levels of meditation.To escape from the clutches 
of MAYA, this should be read every day. 

SLOKA-1

Na bhoomir na thoyam na thejo na vayu,
Na Kham nendriyam vaa na thesham samooha,
Anaikanthikathwath suspthyeka siddha,
Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.

I am neither earth,nor water,nor fire,nor air,nor space
nor sense-organ,nor the aggregate of all these;for all these
are transient,variable by nature, while the Self is that whose
existence is proved by the experience of deep sleep.
I am that One, Auspicious and Pure,that alone remains.


SLOKA-2
   

 Na varna, na varnasramachara dharma,
Na me dharana dhyana yogadhayopi
,Anathmasrayo aham mamadhya sahanath,
Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.                   

 I am neither castes nor the rules of caste,society & the
stages of life,nor for me concentration,meditation,yoga &
other practices,for all this illusion of 'I' and 'mine' is rooted 
in the not-self(body,mind & organs) & is dispellable by the
knowledge of self. I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,
that alone remains. 


SLOKA-3



Na matha pitha vaa na deva na loka,
Na veda na yagna na theertham bruvanthi,
Sushupthou nirasthadhi soonyath makathwath,
Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.

  I am neither mother,nor father,nor the gods,nor the worlds,
nor the vedas,nor fire sacrifices,nor holy place of piligrimage;
for in deep sleep I am(Athma which however is)not absolute 
void or non-existence.I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,
that alone remains. 


SLOKA-4



 Na sankhyam na saivam na thath pancha rathram,                                                 
Na jainam, na meemamskader matham vaa,
Visishtanubhoothya vishudhath maka thwath,
Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.


 Neither the Sankhya doctrine nor the Shaiva,nor  the
Panchrathra, nor the Jaina,nor the Meemamsaka,
nor any other holds good;for,by special realisation
it is revealed that my nature is absolutely pure.
I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,that alone remains.

SLOKA-5
    

Na chordhwam na chadho na cha andhar na bahyam, 
 Na madhyam na thiryang na poorva paraddik,
  Viyad vyapakathwath Akandaika roopa,
  Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.
  
 I am neither above nor below, neither inside nor outside,
neither middle nor across,neither the east nor west; for,
I am indivisible and one by nature,and all pervading like space. 
I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,that alone remains.

SLOKA-6
  


 Na shuklam na krishnam na raktham na peetham,                                                                               
  Na peenam na kubjam na hruswam na deergam,
  Na roopam thada jyothirakarakathwath,
  Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.

  I am neither white nor black, neither red nor yellow,neither 
tiny nor stout, neither short nor long, incapable of being known
 in manner or form, owing to my being of the nature of light.
 I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,that alone remains.


SLOKA-7

    
Na sastha na sasthram na sishyo na siksha,
 Na cha thwam, na cha aham na cha ayam prapancha,
 Swaroopavabadhadhi vikalapa sahishnu,
 Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.


  There is neither teacher nor scripture,nor pupil nor teaching,
nor you(the hearer) nor I( the speaker),nor this empirical
universe; for,the teaching of one's true nature(the 
consciousness of Reality) does not admit of differentiation.
 I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,that alone remains.


 SLOKA-8
   


Na jagrath na me swapnako vaa sushupthi,
Ne viswo na vaa thaijasa pragnako vaa,
  Avidhyathmakathwath trayanam thureeyam,
  Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.
   
   For me there is neither waking, nor dream,nor deep sleep,
   nor am I the one conditioned -vaisva,theijasa,prajna by these
   three states; for,all these are of the nature of ignorence,but
   I am the fourth bliss state(tureeya) beyond these three.
   I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,that alone remains.


  SLOKA-9
    


Api vyapakathwadhi Thathwa prayogath,
 Swatha sidha bhavananya asrayathwath,
   Jagat thuchamethath samastham thadanya,
   Thadekovasishta Shiva kevaloham.

    All this universe, being other than the self,is unreal,
    for the self alone is all-inclusive,constitutes the ultimate 
    goal, and is self established and self dependent. 
    I am that One,Auspecious and Pure,that alone remains.


  SLOKA-10
   
 Na chaikam thadanyath dweetheeyam kutha syath,
   Na chaa kevalathwam na vaa kevalathwam,
   Na soonyam na chaa soonyamadvaidhakathwath,
   Kadam sarva vedhantham sidham braveemi
  
   It can even be said that It is One.How can there be a 
  second,other than it? There is neither absoluteness nor
   non-absoluteness neither non-entity(void) nor entity
  (non-void); for,it is absolutely non-dual in nature.How 
  then can I speak of That which is established by all the
  Upanishads(Vedantha)? 
   
              
          =================================
                                             

3 comments:

  1. I am a projection of my thoughts and is the world as I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pure bharateeya philosophy . It is this that must be taught in each year repeatedly till majoring

    ReplyDelete